Seizure First Aid
Understanding how to provide an emergency response for someone having a seizure can assist in reducing the impact of that seizure on the individual.
Call 000 when a person has a seizure and any of the following apply:
1. If you don’t know the person
2. If there is no available Epilepsy Management Plan
3. If the seizure lasts for 5 minutes
4. If the seizure stops but the person does not regain consciousness within 5 minutes
5. If another seizure begins
6. If the seizure activity has resulted in a serious injury
7. If the seizure occurs in water
8. If you believe the person having the seizure may be pregnant
If you have access to an Epilepsy Management Plan and/or an Emergency Medication Management Plan for the person having the seizure, follow the instructions on these plans. Only people who have received person specific training for the administration of emergency medication to the person having the seizure should administer the emergency medication.
Follow the emergency response steps in our Seizure First Aid poster and remember if at any time you are unsure as to what you should be doing call 000. Please feel free to download and display the Seizure First Aid poster (PDF 282kb) as required.
Below is a short video about providing seizure first aid.
Emergency Information Card
If you are living with epilepsy you may want to carry some information that others can use to assist you in a medical emergency. The Emergency Information Card has been developed so that people living with epilepsy can carry some basic information about themselves.
Click here to download and print the Emergency ID Card (PDF 228kb).
To print the card:
- On double sided printer, choose the “Print on both sides” option and make sure you “Flip on short edge”
- On single sided printer, print out page 1 first, then print page 2 on the reverse side of page 1 and upside down. Then cut out and fold.
Click here to download the Emergency Information Card – How to Use document (PDF 203kb)
Alternatively, you can call us on (03) 8809 0600 to request a copy of the card.