Getting support

If you feel that you might be experiencing depression or anxiety there are many strategies and ways of getting support that’s right for you.

  • GP. Your GP can assist in making an assessment, discuss treatments, develop a Mental Health Care Plan, prescribe medication and/or refer you to a psychologist or psychiatrist.
  • Psychologist. A psychologist is a health professional who can provide therapy and counselling to assist in managing mental health issues, but cannot prescribe medication.
  • Psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is a doctor that specialises in mental health and can make assessments, conduct tests, provide therapy, and prescribe medication.

You may also want to speak to an external crisis counselling and support service such as:

Beyond Blue – (1300 22 46 36)

Lifeline – (13 11 14)

Suicide Call Back Service – (1300 659 467)

Kids Helpline – (1800 55 1800)

You may also want to read the detailed ‘Epilepsy, anxiety and depression’, an informative and practical fact sheet developed by Beyond Blue and Epilepsy Action.

Back to top