A person living with epilepsy may also be supported by a range of other medical and allied healthcare professionals along their health journey.

What is a neurologist?

Neurology is the branch of medicine involving the study and treatment of nervous system disorders. A doctor who specialises (is an expert in) neurology is called a neurologist. Neurologists treat disorders that affect the brain, spinal cord and nerves. A neurologist is able to treat a number of disorders that affect these areas of the body, including epilepsy. Some neurologists only treat adults, but others work with children (paediatric neurologists). Neurologists do not perform surgery. Instead, any operation involving the brain, spine and nerves a conducted by a neurosurgeon.

What is an epileptologist?

An epileptologist is a type of neurologist. An epileptologist has done medical training to become a specialist in seizure and epilepsy treatment.

Epileptologists may become involved if a person’s epilepsy diagnosis, treatment and/or seizures are more complex. 

What other healthcare professionals may be involved?

After a diagnosis of epilepsy, your doctor or specialist may involve other healthcare professionals to treat and support you. These can include:

  • Dietitians
  • Epilepsy educators
  • Epilepsy nurses
  • Epilepsy support workers
  • Neuropsychologists
  • Occupational therapists
  • Pharmacists (chemists)
  • Physiotherapists
  • Psychiatrists
  • Psychologists
  • Radiologists
  • Social workers
  • Speech and language therapists
Back to top